A bit of history about Hedgewood House

 “It was solid brick, 2 ½ stories, with a two-story kitchen wing at the rear of the west half.  The house was a center hall plan with a generous vestibule and a wide hall and stairway and one large room on either side of the hall, each with a large covered verandah. 

The front hall led, on the left of the stairway, through a green baize door to cross back hall joining the two large rooms at the rear pantry, later converted into a breakfast room where thereafter we ate most of our meals.  This room was so narrow the Father had built for it a narrow ash extension table which we, (Bert’s Family), now use on the six-foot verandah at our summer cottage. 

The large east room however, was furnished as a dining room with a rather massive walnut dining set taken over from a cousin who had two living rooms included a two-armed crystal glass chandelier hung in the center of each room and holding two oil lamps, a small mahogany melodian, a gift mantle clock, surmounted by the figure of a ploughman and protected by a curved glass cover, and a pair of silver double armed candlesticks, sometimes loaned for civic function’s...”

Baby Florence was born and died there, only one year old, Edna was born in 1883, Alfred died there in 1882 and W.B. in 1886.

The fifth child was also a girl, Jane, usually called Jennie.